The ice forms by the slow transformation of snow into ice. Changes in precipitation patterns or in surface temperatures directly affect the mass balance of the ice sheets. Surface meltwater also can make its way to the bed, potentially changing basal conditions on different temporal time scale, and also affect the rate of undercutting at glacier termini. Ice-atmosphere interactions are an important focus of our research group. Our current projects include the analysis of the sensitivity of glacier systems on short and long (Holocene) time scale, the development of better Positive Degree Day schemes, and the impact of uncertainty in surface mass balance on short term projections.
- H. Åkesson, M. Morlighem, K.H. Nisancioglu, J.I. Svendsen and J. Mangerud, Atmosphere-driven ice sheet mass loss paced by topography: Insights from modelling the south-western Scandinavian Ice Sheet, Quaternary Science Reviews 195 (2018) 32-47 [link]
- K. Le Morzadec, L. Tarasov, M. Morlighem and H. Seroussi, A new sub-grid surface mass balance and flux model for continental-scale ice sheet modelling: testing and last glacial cycle, Geoscientific Model Development 8 (2015) 3199-213 [link]
- N.-J. Schlegel, E. Larour, H. Seroussi, M. Morlighem and J.E. Box, Ice discharge uncertainties in Northeast Greenland from boundary conditions and climate forcing of an ice flow model, Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface 120 (2015) 29-54 [link]
- A.A. Leeson, A. Shepherd, K. Briggs, I. Howat, X. Fettweis, M. Morlighem and E. Rignot, Supraglacial lakes on the Greenland ice sheet advance inland under warming climate, Nature Climate Change 5 (2014) 51-55 [link]
- J.M. Van Wessem, C.H. Reijmer, M. Morlighem, J. Mouginot, E. Rignot, B. Medley, I. Joughin, B. Wouters, M.A. Depoorter, J.L. Bamber, J.T.M. Lenaerts, W.J. Van De Berg, M.R. Van Den Broeke and E. Van Meijgaard, Improved representation of East Antarctic surface mass balance in a regional atmospheric climate model, Journal of Glaciology 60 (2014) 761-70 [link]
- N.-J. Schlegel, E. Larour, H. Seroussi, M. Morlighem and J.E. Box, Decadal-scale sensitivity of Northeast Greenland ice flow to errors in-surface mass balance using ISSM, Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface 118 (2013) 667-80 [link]